Rak811/Wisnode in Standalone mode

Hello,

I’ve got a Rak811 / Wisnode here and I am looking for a simple how-to, to store AT Commands directly on the STM32L1 flash memory which will be executed the next time the board boots up or the reset button is pressed.

Is that possible? I just have this sweet little piece of hardware and nothing else.

Thank you

Hi @deiotrak

It is possible!
Actually, we’ve supplied a set of AT commands and a set of APIs. You can choose one of these two ways to use RAK811.
In AT command way, you can configure RAK811 through AT commands and these parameters will be stored surely. But in the current version firmware V3.0.0.0, you need to enter an AT command <at+join> again after RAK811 is reset. If you want RAK811 to join automatically after it is reset, we can add this feature in the next firmware.
In API way, you can configure RAK811 through APIs, but it means that you need to write an simple application for it. It is very help for scale deployment of RAK811, because you can configure RAK811 remotely by writing a simple application and calling APIs.

Thank you @Fomi. This sounds great so far.

All I currently want is to build a tiny tracker just by using the standalone Wisnode without any extension boards.

Everytime the board gets power or the reset button is pressed and I want to send simple commands

e.g.
1st command: join the ttn network (at+join=otaa)
2nd command: send some test data (at+send=0,2,010203040506)

Can you provide more information abou the RUI API? is it feasible to use it here?
Which tool is recommended to store/flash/program AT Commands directly on the baord?

Thanks

Hi @deiotrak

According to your usecase, i think it is a good way to write an application by calling APIs, because frimware don’t store AT command, it only store parameters, for example, dev_eui, app_eui, and app_key.

Actually, all AT commands will call APIs finally, so you can think API way is an AI AT command way for users, and it will work according to your application’s source code automatically.:slight_smile:

We’re preparing a document for users to guide how to write an application by calling our APIs. I think it will be released next week.

Does this mean that those API calls or appliation are being stored directly on the STM32 flash memory of RAK811 and will executed automatically the next time the device is powered on?

I am really looking forward playing around with the new API :slight_smile:

Pheraps you can show us a little sneak peak code example of the API capabilities here.

Thanks

Yes, you are right. The application is a part of firmware and users can customize this part as they want by calling APIs, so it is surely stored in flash and will be surely execute automatically.:slight_smile:

For every RAK product, we’ll supply an application which is written according to our idea, and this application will be open source so that users can rewrite a new application based on it according to their idea.

I think you will play it on RAK811 next week. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very nice!

By the way, since PlatformIO does support the RAK811 Lora Tracker

(https://docs.platformio.org/en/latest/boards/ststm32/rak811_tracker.html), does it also support the RAK811 Wisnode?

Thanks for your information. Actually, we want to use VScode + PlatformIO as our firmware IDE, but we have less time to do it recently.
That’s a good new that PlatformIO has supported RAK811 LoRa Tracker. I think it can be used on RAK811 Wisnode too, because they are both based STM32Cube, but i haven’t tested it, you can have a try.:slight_smile:

Thats a good news. Waiting for the guide :slight_smile:

Could you share that guide?

Hi @kurikkal ,

I am not exactly sure on the guide Fomi was saying but this is the latest example guide for RUI that we have GitHub - RAKWireless/Products_practice_based_on_RUI_v2.0.

Btw, this thread is very old and I suggest you open up a new topic for your inquiries :slight_smile: