RAK831 pilot gateway PLL issue

I am currently facing some critical issue about RAK831 pilot gateway, it seems that when it tries to send out packet, the PLL can’t be locked which causes the transmission failed.

Please see the error log here, how to solve this issue?
JSON up: {“rxpk”:[{“tmst”:967979500,“chan”:6,“rfch”:0,“freq”:486.700000,“stat”:1,“modu”:“LORA”,“datr”:“SF12BW125”,“codr”:“4/5”,“lsnr”:6.0,“rssi”:-81,“size”:29,“data”:“QCV4GwCAawQC+nSaz5p8n8EFzbcAN4INM6GWjJQ=”}]}
INFO: [up] PUSH_ACK received in 0 ms
INFO: [down] PULL_RESP received - token[0:0]

JSON down: {“txpk”:{“tmst”:968979500,“freq”:507.1,“ncrc”:true,“rfch”:0,“powe”:27,“modu”:“LORA”,“datr”:“SF12BW125”,“codr”:“4/5”,“ipol”:true,“size”:17,“data”:“YCV4GwAFEgADUQcAAcpgQ7w”}}
src/jitqueue.c:140:jit_enqueue(): Current concentrator time is 968256599, pkt_type=0
src/jitqueue.c:117:jit_sort_queue(): sorting queue in ascending order packet timestamp - queue size:1
src/jitqueue.c:119:jit_sort_queue(): sorting queue done - swapped:0
src/jitqueue.c:452:jit_print_queue(): INFO: [jit] queue contains 1 packets:
src/jitqueue.c:453:jit_print_queue(): INFO: [jit] queue contains 0 beacons:
src/jitqueue.c:459:jit_print_queue(): - node[0]: count_us=968979500 - type=0
src/jitqueue.c:318:jit_enqueue(): enqueued packet with count_us=968979500 (size=17 bytes, toa=1318000 us, type=0)
Tx_Ack: error=0
src/jitqueue.c:433:jit_peek(): peek packet with count_us=968979500 at index 0
src/jitqueue.c:448:jit_print_queue(): INFO: [jit] queue is empty
src/jitqueue.c:362:jit_dequeue(): dequeued packet with count_us=968979500 from index 0
INFO: tx_start_delay=1495 (1495.500000) - (1497, bw_delay=1.500000, notch_delay=0.000000)
Info: packet will be sent without CRC
INFO: Enabling TX notch filter
lgw_send:1600: Note: SX125x #0 PLL start (attempt 1)
lgw_send:1600: Note: SX125x #0 PLL start (attempt 2)
lgw_send:1600: Note: SX125x #0 PLL start (attempt 3)
lgw_send:1600: Note: SX125x #0 PLL start (attempt 4)
lgw_send:1600: Note: SX125x #0 PLL start (attempt 5)
ERROR: FAIL TO LOCK PLL
WARNING: [jit] lgw_send failed

Hi, @ruitobe

Please use the latest software for RAK831 pilotgateway, and try again.
https://www.rakwireless.com/en/download/LoRa/RAK831-Pilot-Gateway#Firmware

Hi Fomi,
Thanks for your reply, we will try the latest firmware. BTW, could you please provide some information about issue? Does the latest firmware fix this issue? The gateway can’t do the packet forwarding due to this issue.

Best regards,
ruitobe

Hi, @ruitobe

We’ve tested the latest firmware, and don’t meet this issue.
In the early period, we’ve ever met this issue, and it may be caused by two reasons:

1. SPI interface is off;
  2. Don’t start from start.sh. In our firmware, the LoRa progress is placed in the folder </opt/ttn-gateway/packet_forwarder/lora_pkt_fwd>, and it need to be started by using start.sh.

Hi Fomi,
As I also noticed one error info: under voltage detected, is there any hardware issue?

Best regards,
ruitobe

Hi Fomi,
I am getting confused by “Don’t start from start.sh. In our firmware, the LoRa progress is placed in the folder </opt/ttn-gateway/packet_forwarder/lora_pkt_fwd>, and it need to be started by using start.sh.”

what exactly to understand “using start.sh”

Best regards,
ruitobe

I still can’t send packets from gateway…please give some support, otherwise i think the product has some hardware issue. Can the service deal with the issue?

Hi @ruitobe
Let start one by one :slight_smile:
The under voltage message may occur from bad micro usb adapter. Please try with another one. It is not critical but can take to system lags.
I assume that you try to use TTN. Did you set the correct json file?
Like @Fomi mentioned try to stop ttn-gateway service (sudo systemctl stop ttn-gateway) and start it from start script. It is located in /opt/ttn-gateway/packet_forwarder/lora_pkt_fwd . The command is “sudo ./start.sh” . If this do not give result, please run “bash +x start.sh” in the same place and give us the output.
Regards

Hi @velev,
I have to trigger this topic again, since the hardware still can’t send packets even if I downgraded the SPI speed. It obvious no transmit power captured from spectrum analyser . It is not about service restart, it is obviously some PLL and RF transmitter issue, please give advice how to fix this critical problem. Thanks.

Regards,
ruitobe

Hi @ruitobe
Give some more information on this. Which software are you using? How you try to send packets? Mosquitto_pub? Do you receive packets from nodes?

Regards
Todor Velev

Hi @velev,

I am running the sample ttn-gateway software and enabled CN470 band. The hardware I bought from RAK Wireless is for CN470.

It can receive packets from nodes well, but not able to send packets. As I mentioned in the beginning, I tried debugging and found: INFO: Enabling TX notch filter
lgw_send:1600: Note: SX125x #0 PLL start (attempt 1)
lgw_send:1600: Note: SX125x #0 PLL start (attempt 2)
lgw_send:1600: Note: SX125x #0 PLL start (attempt 3)
lgw_send:1600: Note: SX125x #0 PLL start (attempt 4)
lgw_send:1600: Note: SX125x #0 PLL start (attempt 5)
ERROR: FAIL TO LOCK PLL
WARNING: [jit] lgw_send failed.

I also proved issue that no signal transmitted by spectrum analysyer.

Best regards,
ruitobe

Is the power adapter you use the gateway’s own? 5V 2A?

Hi @ZhuQI,
Yes, I am using the official adapter shipped by RAKWireless. Do you have ttn-gateway code to check CN470 hardware is working or not?

Regards,
ruitobe

Hi @ruitobe,

Why don’t you use the official RAK Firmware from the link, it has been tested and works:
https://downloads.rakwireless.com/en/LoRa/RAK831-Pilot-Gateway/Firmware/

Regards
Vladislav

Hi @Hobo

For sure I am running the firmware which RAKWireless released, but not the latest. Can you confirm which release to run for CN470 supported hardware? Is there any fix related to this issue?

Best regards,
ruitobe

We never encountered the issue before, still it is good to update. By the way the issue.
Also I am a bit confused. What class is this you are using. Also you say the downlink is the issue. Next you say the gateway can’t forward, which is uplink only. So is the issue the uplink or downlink?
Also you said you are running the official ttn forwarder, now you said you are running the RAK firmware, so changing the firmware did not fix the issue?

Regards
Vladislav

Hi @Hobo,
Sorry that you’re getting confused… :slight_smile:

1. Class A is running
  2. Did you notice Fomi wrote " Hi, @ruitobe

We’ve tested the latest firmware, and don’t meet this issue.
In the early period, we’ve ever met this issue, and it may be caused by two reasons:

1. SPI interface is off;
2. Don’t start from start.sh. In our firmware, the LoRa progress is placed in the folder </opt/ttn-gateway/packet_forwarder/lora_pkt_fwd>, and it need to be started by using start.sh."

1. “Official” means RAKWireless, sorry for confusing.

2. The problem I think is about the gateway radio layer. The log showed txpk was ready and passed to radio, however, for some reason, there was no power output. <- PLL issue, tx failed.

Best regards,
ruitobe

Hi @ruitobe,

Thanks for clarifying, never met the issue. I guess in @Fomi we trust, unfortunately at this point I got nothing. Will keep track of any development in case I get an idea.

Regards
Vladislav

Hi @ruitobe,

You can change a power supply and try again.
If this issue is still exist, i think maybe you need to change a RAK831 Pilot gateway for testing.

Hi @Fomi,

I don’t have other power supply nor gateway, can RAKWireless service be supporting this case? RMA?
Is there service team in Shanghai China?

Best regards,
ruitobe