Trouble updating RUI3 to 4.1.0

I’m trying to update the RUI3 firmware. The old version is 3.5.5

AT+VER=RUI_3.5.3_RAK4631
OK

I am trying to use the “Firmware Update via USB” method on a Mac.

I’ve dodged a few problems like that having to re-zip the files that Mac helpfully unzipped on download and asking the Privacy Settings for an exception to allow nrf-util to run without Apple’s blessing. I’ve also made sure to pick up the rui3 version, but I’m still against a problem.

./nrfutil-mac.1 dfu usb-serial -pkg rui3_rak4631_latest.zip -p /dev/cu.usbmodemC214E6D664D11 
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "nordicsemi/__main__.py", line 1545, in <module>
  File "click/core.py", line 1137, in __call__
  File "click/core.py", line 1062, in main
  File "click/core.py", line 1668, in invoke
  File "click/core.py", line 1668, in invoke
  File "click/core.py", line 1404, in invoke
  File "click/core.py", line 763, in invoke
  File "nordicsemi/__main__.py", line 1022, in usb_serial
  File "nordicsemi/__main__.py", line 972, in do_serial
  File "nordicsemi/dfu/dfu.py", line 69, in __init__
  File "nordicsemi/dfu/package.py", line 648, in unpack_package
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/var/folders/n2/d5q87fd15gq73p4_zmgl8p0h0000gn/T/nrf_dfu_70zl0_z9/unpacked_zip/manifest.json'
[26587] Failed to execute script '__main__' due to unhandled exception!

Everything is sitting in the Downloads folder.

Any Mac users out there that can offer advice?

I have no Mac, but I saw the upload tools for mac have been updated in our Download Center

Another option is to use WisToolBox

I’d completely forgotten about WisBlockTool.

So I installed the App and connected to the device. It can read the RUI3 version I currently have installed.

If I click on the Firmware tab (on the left) it shows that V4.1.0 is current for the RAK4630.

If I then click Dashboard, then the device, then the new Firmware tab (within the device block) it tells me “No firmware available”.

Was there something else I was supposed to do?

In reference to my screenshot above:

1. Click on Custom button
  2. Get the RAK3172-E_latest.bin (IMPORTANT, YOU NEED THE BIN FILE)
  3. Pack the bin file into a ZIP file (I don’t understand until today why WisToolBox needs a ZIP file)
  4. Drag the ZIP file into the Custom Firmware field in WisToolBox
  5. Flash the firmware

thanks @beegee. Just double checking, pick up the RAK3172-E binary? I’m using the RAK4631 module.

Ups, my fault. Of course you need the RAK4631 files.

The magic is not happening for me.

I’ve tried picking up a bunch of zips from the download centre, where the zips include a bin file. No matter what I drag and drop into the “Custom Firmware” catch box, it tells me that my zip file doesn’t satisfy one of several criteria.

Would you please point me to the exact bin file I should be wrapping into a zip and dropping into the custom firmware basket.

Thanks

Another “mistery” of WisToolBox, I guess you got something like “unique file name required”.

Rename the update ZIP file to “rak4631_v_4_1_0_firmware.zip” and try that.

You wouldn’t believe it. I’ve been poking this thing for two or three hours. All of a sudden, the version 4.1.0 firmware appeared as an “Official” option with an upgrade button under it.

I clicked it; it failed with a timed out, but suggested I try again. Second time around it, with a fresh connection it upgraded successfully. I should go buy a lottery ticket.

Thanks as always @beegee

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.