Unable to detect RAK11310 in Windows Device Manager

I am currently working on a RAK11310. Previously, everything was working smoothly, with Windows Device Manager and the Arduino IDE (which I am using to program the device) being able to detect the unit automatically once plugged in. However, I had attempted to access the device through WSL, which required to bind and attach the device to WSL through the usbipd wsl bind --busid 2-1 force and usbipd wsl attach --busid 2-1 commands in Windows Powershell, after which the device could be detected successfully in WSL.

However, after a few times of unplugging and plugging the device back in and repeating the steps above, the device’s COM port can no longer be detected in the Device Manager and Arduino IDE, but the device can be found when using the command usbipd wsl list in Powershell. The device can also still successfully attach to and be detected in WSL. What could be the issue in this case?

Many thanks in advance.

Welcome to RAK forum @melc ,

I have no experience with WSL. But I am thinking that the Arduino IDE cannot detect it since it is already bind to WSL. Maybe try again to check if it can be detected once you disconnect it to WSL.

Maybe you have an issue with communication between host and wsl. Try this
Connecting USB devices to WSL - Windows Command Line (microsoft.com)

1 Like

Thank you both for your replies.

Sorry I should have made myself clearer, I am trying to connect to the Arduino IDE on Windows. Windows is unable to detect the device despite being disconnected from WSL.
I have also tested with a Linux computer, it is able to detect it as /dev/ttyACM0 but does not show a device name despite showing a bus ID in lsusb

Update: it was an issue with my Windows device where it detected the RAK as a USBIP shared device, possibly because I had disconnected and reconnected with WSL several times. I found the device and updated the driver and now both Windows and the Arduino IDE can detect it as a COM port again.
Many thanks

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.