Using Rak 831 Concentrator without internet

Hello,
Please I have a project I am currently working on with the RAK 831 connected to my raspberry pi to receive sensor data from 4 LoRa nodes. In this project, i want to configure the LoRa gateway to work without internet or wifi (an independent system) where the Nodes send the data and the concentrator gets the data and i capture the data on the raspberry pi with apps such as NodeRed. i don not want to forward the data to either TTN or Loraserver. the project is to be deployed in a remote area without internet. So i want to know if the RAK 831 can be configured to receive data without connection to the internet. I want to make my project on LoRa and not LoRawan.
Thanks for your help in advance.

Hei @cherechi,

The RAK firmware comes with a Built-in Chirpstack, that is deployed locally, just use that. Should work out fine.

Regards
Vladislav

Thanks for your reply. Please how do i use this. Any more specifice way to access this. I will also like to send controls back to the nodes from my nodered through the concentrator. Is this also achievable? If yes, I will appreciate a more descriptive explanation of how I can get this done.

Thanks in advance

Also, with this you just said, can the concentrator recieve and send data without internet for setup and usage

Hei @cherechi,

You can refer to this one for a rought overview of what to do:
https://doc.rakwireless.com/rak2245-pi-hat-edition-lorawan-gateway-concentrator-module/connect-the-lora-gateway-with-chirpstack

Basically you need to configure the Gateway to work with the Built-in Chirpstack, which should be by default if you haven’t modified the Firmware via the "sudo gateway-config command ".
All configuration to the Network Server and Application server can be done via the Web interface using a browser:
IP address of your Gateway at port 8080. Thereon it is a normal ChirpStack.
As for Node Red, I can’t help there, I definitelly know that what you want to do is possible, however my brain is not big enough to tell you how to do it as I don’t know.
Perhaps some of the smarter people on the forum will pitch in :slight_smile:
I hope this has been at least a little helpful to get you started. That link is to a document for the RAK2245, however the ShirStack portion of the configuration is the same for RAK831, maybe go through the whole things just in case :wink:

Regards
Vladislav

Thanks very much
This will go a long way to help.
Thanks once again