Wireless only works when ethernet cable is plugged in

Just received a RAK 7258 LoRaWAN indoor gateway. Initial setup with wireless is fine until I configure the WiFi to be the “backhaul” per the setup instructions.

I have a DHCP assignment for the WIFI MAC address which the WIFI adapter picks up according to ipconifg, but unless an ethernet cable is plugged into the the ETH (which grabs a different ip) I cannot connect to the web interface or ping the IP.

I can turn off the wireless while connected to the ETH ip and see the pings to the WIFIIP drop, so I know the WIFI is operating. I can also connect to the web interface through both the WIFI and the ETH ip addresses at the same time. I can ping both IP addresses as well, but if I unplug the ETH cable, both ip addresses stop responding and no connection is possible.

I have updated to the latest firmware 1.1.0045_Release r176. I noticed that br-lan, eth0, eth0.1, eth0.2 and ra0 interfaces all have the same hardware address.

I need to be able to use this gateway with the WIFI as a client to my network to the internet since no hardwired connection will be possible.