WisBlock Meshtastic Starter Kit reboots when connected to default channel and MQTT is enbled

I ran seriallog again this morning and below is what i got.

????????????????????????????????[APP] Timer wakeup
[APP] P2P TX finished

Thanks!!
Jeff
jeff@jeff:~/Desktop/Lora/Wisblock$ ./meshtastic --info
Connected to radio

Owner: Meshtastic c640 (c640)
My info: { "myNodeNum": 765642304, "minAppVersion": 30200 }
Metadata: { "firmwareVersion": "2.2.23.5672e68", "deviceStateVersion": 22, "canShutdown": true, "hasBluetooth": true, "hasEthernet": true, "positionFlags": 811, "hwModel": "RAK4631" }

Nodes in mesh: {"!2da2c640": {"num": 765642304, "user": {"longName": "Meshtastic c640", "shortName": "c640", "macaddr": "e0:f6:2d:a2:c6:40", "hwModel": "RAK4631"}, "position": {"time": 1710605500}, "lastHeard": 1710605500, "deviceMetrics": {"batteryLevel": 101, "voltage": 4.214, "channelUtilization": 45.975}},
`...

It doesnt have Meshtastic loaded and I cant get in it through the app.

Hi @cphse ,

It is strange what you are experiencing as the WisBlock core seems to behave ok (other than the random reboot/reset).

On your CLI commands, it sees that Meshtastic is loaded corrected. When connecting to the app, make sure the BLE antenna is connected.

I checked and the antenna is connected.

Thanks
Jeff

So several times this weekend I have tried flashing the device with “Meshtastic_nRF52_factory_erase_v2.uf2” and “firmware-rak4631-2.2.24.e6a2c06.uf2” to no avail. this morning when I tried it I was able to see the device and now I am able to get into it. I have set the region and changed the Bluetooth pin and that’s it so far.

You keep mentioning that you think the issue is “software”, do you mean Meshtastic or are you talking about a “config” issue as in a configuration issue?

Let me know what you would like to try next.

Thanks!!
Jeff

Jeff,

I highly recommend disabling JSON as you don’t need that enabled unless you are integrating your device into Home Assistant or similar software. If all you want to do is use Meshtastic with MQTT, JSON is not needed. Do you know for sure you need it enabled for some other reason?

Also look at the Meshtastic.org documents section for additional advice on regarding MQTT; the nrf52840 MCU is somewhat limited regarding memory and MQTT can consume all available system resources and result in a freeze or reset. There is new guidance on how to select a specific MQTT topic, and not the ‘root’ one that contains so many messages that your device runs out of memory.

Good luck,
Tony

Also I recommend flashing the new 2.3.0 alpha firmware for more MQTT mitigations and fixes related to out-of-control messaging on the public MQTT server.

Thanks for the reply Tony!!

I didn’t have Jason turned on.

I am running 2.3.0 alpha firmware and we will see how it goes.

Thanks
Jeff

Locked up :frowning: that didn’t take long

Kinda hard to use it as a client then.

Jeff

So why is mine behaving the way it does??

So it will behave the same even if it is used as a router/repeater/client router whatever??

So hardware wise what is the path/plan forward??