WisBlock RAKBox-B3 Enclosure

I build an air quality node based on

• RAK19007 WisBlock Base Board 2nd Gen
  • RAK11200 is a WisBlock Core module based on Espressif ESP32-WROVER
  • RAK1901 WisBlock Sensor based on Sensirion SHTC3 temperature and humidity sensor
  • RAK12047 WisBlock VOC Sensor based on MOx-based Sensirion Gas Sensor SGP40
  • RAK14001 WisBlock RGB LED Module
  • RAKBox-B3 Enclosure

My problems are:

1. I had to change the orientation of the base due to the used core. Therefore I can use not all screws.
  2. The USB Type C needs more room than the enclosure offers. Therefore powering via USB is not possible.
  3. I power the device via the solar connector and 5 V DC.

Because the used SGP40 and the LED needs current there is no battery powering planned.

I find the RAKBox-B3 a very good indoor solution but some more room could be helpful. Is there an alternative where IO modules find the needed additional place?

Welcome back to forum @ckuehnel ,

Your project looks interesting. Your #1 point is valid - RAK11200 extends beyond the board (your work-around seems to be fine though). With #2, maybe a straight USB C cable might consume less space?

For alternative, we only have the Unify Outdoor enclosures at the moment - Unify Enclosure Home ā€“ RAKwireless Store

We have in the pipeline indoor enclosures too (no date of release yet) but for now, the outdoor ones is the only option in store. These enclosures are designed to work in WisBlock and comes in different sizes. Also, it has WisBlock compatible baseplate. Custom holes can be made as well (with additional cost). Maybe you can have a look :slight_smile:

Hi Claus,

Looks good. And thanks for sharing the article with me.
Is it ok if I share this with our marketing team?

For the coming indoor enclosure, here are some previews. The enclosures will be available with and without display.

2 Likes

If you are interested, here is my blog post RAKwireless Air Quality Node ā€“ ckArduino.

@ckuehnel
Thank you for sharing here. Interesting article.
Btw, regarding the temperatures shown in my image, I am in the Philippines, so 29 deg C is quite cold. :rofl:

@ckuehnel Great Article! I was looking for a solution to measure indoor air CO2 myself and I like your IR work around. Iā€™m currently in the process of building a Corsi-Rosenthal box with PWM computer fans. I was thinking of using wisblock to measure CO2, particles or whatever air indicator really, and then have a control loop that speeds up the fans until the air cleans up.