WisDM monitoring not reliable!

Hi

Having connected my alone Lora gw that is compatible with WisDM (RAK7289 V1), I had noticed already that indication is gw is online or offline is not reliable (get regularly some disconnection/reconnection notifications while gw has not lost any connectivity) and now WisDM indicates my gw offline since few days while gw is working perfectly well (connected at TTN V3 network).
Someone else with same problems ? make use of WisDM quite unproductive :frowning:
Side note: If I reboot the gw, it comes back online in WisDM :confused:

Thanks

Vincèn

I have the same problem (RAK7268), this happens only for me when the gateway is on a cellular connection.

I suspect WisDM to use a basic ping to determine if gw is online or not as it looks to be way unreliable ! What LNS do you use ? TTN ?

Hello @jssani, @vincen ,

This is a known bug that our software engineers are working on.

Best Regards,
Nikola Semov

Hi @Nikola

Can we expect that to be fixed quickly ? as it’s quite annoying the false warnings all the more for a monitoring system :wink:

Thanks

Vincèn

Hi,
Yes, I expect the fix to be released soon.

Regards,
Nikola

Is it a fix only on server side ? or does it need an update on gw too ?

Hello @vincen,

The gateway will need to be updated with the firmware containing the fix once it is released.

Regards,
Nikola

Hi @Nikola

Thanks for clarification :wink: Is it possible to know how the system will test now if gw is online or not ? Hope it’ll check this time if LNS connection is up/down and not a basic ping :wink:

Thanks

Vincèn

Hi,
Actually, the mechanism used is not WisDM testing whether the GW is online.
Once the WisDM agent on the gateway is running it reports to WisDM if the GW is online or not.

Nikola

oki but it doesn’t answer how the check is done ? Is it checking the LNS link is up and detecting when it’s going down ?

Hi,

WisDM is not checking the LNS for the simple reason the LNS connection is something way different from the gateway status.
The gateway reports in the Log if it can’t connect to the LNS. WisDM agent on the gateway checks if the gateway is online and not if the gateway is able to connect to the LNS.

Best Regards,
Nikola

@Nikola Thanks for clarification and making it perfectly clear that WisDM is totally useless then ! It should check status of LNS connection, not network status of gw…

@vincen if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
The WisDM is a remote management tool. As such it is created to give you the ability to manage the gateway and gateway fleets settings and configuration remotely.
If you have issues with the connection to the LNS it is a most likely configuration problem, and you will have a clear notification about that in the system logs and in the LNS logs. :wink:

2 Likes

@velev oki my misundestanding ! For me WisDM was both a remote management tool and a monitoring tool but it looks like it’s clearly not a monitoring tool :frowning: (side note: WisDM indicates my gw offline while it’s working perfectly since ages so I’ll remove my gw from WisDM as it’s useless to receive some online/offline notifications that are irrelevant :wink:

@vincen Yeah, we are aware of this issue and the cloud team is chasing the root cause. It will be fixed soon.
BTW, you can just turn off the notifications for now, until this is fixed.

WisDM is a long-term project, and we are glad to receive all kinds of feedback and suggestions as this will help us to make it more useful for you. And many new features are coming.

Thanks for details @velev and impatient to be able to use WisDM as a real monitoring tool of the Lora server connection :wink:

1 Like