WisNode Button 4K (V1) bricked

Hi team,

I mistakenly flashed my WisNode Button 4K V1 (RAK7201) with the RAK7201V2 firmware using the RAK Device Firmware Upgrade Tool v1.4.

After that, the device is not working anymore (for obvious reasons I guess). I tried to flash back the right firmware without success.

I can flash the .bin but I think the bootloader is missing so I can’t use the micro USB and the device is not running the Button 4K program, it does nothing and don’t answer to AT commands.

Note: I was able to flash the bootloader of the RAK4270 and it works, I mean the AT commands work and the module is working fine. But I need to have back the Button functionality.

Can you share the bootloader + firmware please.

Note 2: I am using the RAKDAP1 for flashing (SWD connection inside)

Thanks,
Greetings, Christopher (former colleague <3)

Hi @mcmchris ,

Please use this FW.

The button V1 and V2 has different module and its FW are not compatible to each other.

Thanks for your reply,

This was the same firmware I tested with, as you can see, I can flash it, but the board does nothing.

The AT commands also don’t work and when I press any button briefly or long press, nothing.

I think that would help if you read the memory of a working Button 4K (V1) with STM32CubeProgrammer and send me te Hex file so I can upload it to mine.

Hi @mcmchris ,

I didn’t know you are uploading directly using ST-Link. The bin file you use is intended to be uploaded via RAK bootloader. I am checking now with the team how you can revive it. I will send you the button V1 boot+app file to make it work again as soon as I get it.

Hi @mcmchris ,

Please use this firmware to recover your V1 button that has V2 FW uploaded on it.

This is tested on Jlink but should work as well on RAKDAP1 or other OpenOCD hardware.

P_RAK7201.hex (272.0 KB)

Many thanks Carl,

I flashed the Hex using my RAKDAP1, then I was able to flash the Button firmware through USB with the DFU tool.

Working again, thanks.

1 Like