WisNode TrackIt LED behaviour is not easy to understand

I have two WisNode Trackit, both were recently updated to firmware v1.1.7.

I’d like to give these to my Dad to use, he is in his 70s and isn’t a tech genius. The LEDs on the trackers are not clear to understand - especially for charging which is the most important thing IMO.

Fully charged and turned off:
Click power button: No effect
Click Function button: No effect
Attach charger: Function button turns red, then both buttons light (power=red, function=green > this appears to be the trackit turning on). Then the function button flashes green a few times (connecting to app via bluetooth?) then no LEDs at all, even though the unit is connected to the charger.

Fully charged and turned on:
Click power button: Red LED and beep
Click function button: Green LED
Attach charger: Green LED lights for 5 seconds and then turns off
Power off with charger attached: After the function button flashes green 3 times to indicate powering off, the function button turns red and stays red as long as the charger is attached.

Medium battery and turned off:
Click power button: No effect
Click Function button: No effect
Attach charger: Function button turns red, then both buttons light (power=red, function=green > this appears to be the trackit turning on). Then the function button flashes green a few times (connecting to app via bluetooth?) then the function button “breathes” blue while connected to the charger.

Medium battery and turned on:
Click power button: Red LED and beep
Click function button: Green LED
Attach charger: function button “breathes” blue while connected to the charger.

When the function button is breathing blue, if the TrackIt is left to fully charge, then all the LEDs turn off.

My personal expectation would be that while on charge and the battery is full, the green LED is lit until the charge cable is removed. Being able to turn off the device while attached to the charger, and having the red LED stay on, seems like a bug to me.