A low power consumption firmware for RAK811!

Hi everyone,

I’m glad to announce that we’ve got a new beta version firmware for RAK811 which is based on RAK SDK named RUI! Based on our preliminary testing result, the power consumption of RAK811 with this firmware is only 10.3uA, when it go to sleep mode!

In addition, there is a set of new and unified AT commands and APIs have been defined. You can configure RAK811 through AT command, or you can customize it though RUI API.

How to Apply Beta?

Summary
  • Email us at [email protected] with the Subject: [BETA] RAK811 Firmware
  • Email Body should contain the following:
    1. Full Name
    2. Complete Address
    3. Email address (if different from sender email)
    4. Measure of the current power consumption based on current firmware.
  • Must have a RAK811 or WisNode Board in hand

**Beta program ended on June 21, 2019

Further details will be emailed to selected participants. Participants should post their update below or on a separate forum thread.

3 Likes

Glad to read this. Do you plan to open the firmware source as it could benefit to other project ?

2 Likes

Hi there,

Great news!! I gess it will be also available for WisTrio RAK5205. Do you want to test it on that board too or it’s not ready yet?

I join the previous comment and I hope you ralease it as open source after the beta. These boards have a great potential but we need more community arround them!!

1 Like

RAK811 module and WisNode_LoRa firmware will be released tomorrow, and we’re working on RAK5205 Wistrio to develop a new firmware for this board based on RUI. I think we will released RAK5205 Wistrio new firmware in 2 weeks.

As the picture shows, we will supply RUI API and all source code of Application, then you will redevelop RAK products as you want by writing your own Application and calling RUI APIs. But in normal, the source code of RUI will be open source partly.

Hi @Fomi,
Any news on the rak5205 firmware?
Where can I find the RUI firmware? (not binary files)
Thanks.

Hi @dhinojosac,

We’re testing it and maybe we can release it at the end of this week.
We can’t open all the source code of the RUI firmware, just partly.
But i think it is enough for users to customize the firmware for RAK5205 according to their usecase, because we supply a set of API and users can customize a new “Application” by calling our APIs and compile using our online compile enviroment to get a final firmware which they want.

We’ve just released the V3.0.0.1 version firmware for RAK811:
https://downloads.rakwireless.com/en/LoRa/RAK811/Firmware/
and the new document:
https://downloads.rakwireless.com/en/LoRa/RAK811/Application_Notes/

In this version, we add the LoRaP2P mode.
You can see what’s the difference in the ChangeLog file:
https://downloads.rakwireless.com/en/LoRa/RAK811/Firmware/RAK811_ChangeLog.txt

Hello Fomi,

How can I customize my own firmware through the API?

Cheers

Hi @AverageConsumer,

I’ll publish a document and an online platform this week, then you can customize your own firmware through API.
Just wait for several days, once we finish, i’ll push a news here ASAP.

Hi all,

From now on, please ignore all old version firmware of RAK5205!

I’m glad to tell you that my team has just released an entirely new firmware for RAK5205 Wistrio, V3.0.0.2.
You can find the firmware here:
https://downloads.rakwireless.com/en/LoRa/WisTrio-LoRa-RAK5205/Firmware/
“.H” means high frequency, and “.L” means low frequency.
This is the ChangeLog of this firmware:
https://downloads.rakwireless.com/en/LoRa/WisTrio-LoRa-RAK5205/Firmware/RAK5205_ChangeLog.txt
It is really an improvement for using, especially on power consumption and customization.

You can use this firmware according to the new document:

RAK5205’s power consumption is only 13.8uA when it works in sleep mode:

I have tested sleep current on Rak811 Wisnode Lora when version is V2.0.3.4 yet!
( Removed 0R resistor and wired ampermeter to the next jumper. Yes this measured LVCC_3V3 line powering only module)

Sleep current is 22uA. Is it same of yours ?

V3.0.0.1 has been released with 10.3uA sleep current.
Since LoRaWan is ia LPWan and commonly for Class A ultra low power battery operations;
Sleep current might be under 5uA.

And 3.6V LiSClO2 batteries commonly used in LoRaWAN sensor nodes;
For RAK811 operating voltage range, in datasheets I see you declare 3.15V to 3.45V.
Does it work with 3.6V battery ?
And this should be down to 2.7V to guarantee peak power cases and better extend battery cut off.

What is the actual Brownout detect level or operating range of the RAK811 ?

Thanks

Hi,
“For RAK811 operating voltage range, in datasheets I see you declare 3.15V to 3.45V.” This voltage range is RAK811 operating voltage,not battery voltage. The RAK811 WisNode board has a voltage regulator circuit to 3.3V. And the RAK811 WisNode board don’t have brownout detect level function.

Hi,
Sorry, I am NOT talking on Wisnode Lora BOARD !
My question is for RAK811 Lora MODULE (34 pin, surface mount Module).

I have designed a battery powered Class A, LoRaWAN sensor device.
RAK811 Lora Module will be used in this device.
I have received 10 pieces of RAK811 Lora Modules as samples. Now waiting for receive my sensor device PCB’s still in manufacturing.

My sensor device will work with ER26500, C size, 3.6V LiSCLO2 battery.
Considering the cut-off voltage of this battery is 3V.
So for a long battery life, using full battery capacity, RAK811 module should be able to work down to 3V.

Can RAK811 module work at 3V or not ?

Hi,
We have limit test RAK811 module,It’s minimal operating voltage at 1.75V.

This is perfect. Thanks for the information.

Hi @Fomi,

If I recall correctly, yesterday you commented here about releasing the open source code for RAK811 next week. However, that comment has since been deleted. Just to be clear, should I expect the open source to be released next week or has something changed?

Hi @AverageConsumer,

Sorry to confuse you.
Actually, i want to add a feature that users can connect their sensors to RAK811 freely, and parse sensor’s data freely.
Yes, we’ll open source, but only a part, not all. We’ll add a set of API to do it, and open source the application which is a part of firmware and do almost everything about application by calling APIs. For example, if you want to connect RAK811 with an I2C sensor, you just need to write an application which call I2C interface APIs to get or set I2C sensor data and parse these data freely, then send them out through LoRa by calling LoRa APIs.
Is it can meet your requirment? If you need other features, please tell me, and we can supply more and more APIs for users.

Hi @Fomi,

Thank you for the clarification. As to my project, it involves waking the device up through the accelerometer and sending a packet containing its location. So I will only be using the GPS module and the LIS3DH.

I measured sleep mode current for RAK811 (with firmware 3.0.0.12H and boot loader version 3_0_2) is around 90uA. Is this rating same as yours? or Am I measuring something wrong?

Hi. Can you show how and where you measured it? Whit what and at what state is node in? AT?