How i can connect I2c sensors directly to RAK3172!

Hi, I start working on RAK3172, and I read the user manual, I want to design my own PCB board, but before I do that I have a question.!
As the datasheet recommendation, I should use another microcontroller and connect it with RAK3172 via UART port to join with server and send data (payload) through AT command. The question here, can I use RAK3172 as a standalone Microcontroller and connect sensors directly to its pins without need additional MCU.
If yes, can any one help and send me any support documents that’s explain how to do that.!!!

Welcome to RAK forum @Dodotik :slight_smile:

Some options you have.

1. Use STM32CubeIDE - approach is different on on STM32Cube LoRaWAN middleware version - for (V1.0.0)[RAK3172 Module Low Level Development Reference | RAKwireless Documentation Center] and for (V1.1.0)[GitHub - PrometheanDesign/LoRaWAN_End_Node: Derived from ST LoRaWAN_End_Node with support for STM32WLE5xx based SEED LoRa E5 and RAK Wireless RAK3172 modules].
  2. Use (STM32WL Custom board in ArmMbed)[GitHub - hallard/RAK3172-Breakout: STM32WL LoRaWAN Breakout board for RAK3172]
  3. Use (STM32Duino)[GitHub - stm32duino/Arduino_Core_STM32: STM32 core support for Arduino] but no LoRaWAN support yet.
  4. Use enterprise/paid toolchains like Keil, IAR, etc.
  5. (in development) Use RUI (RAK Unified Interface) V3 FW via Arduino.

If you are looking for a detailed guide on how to use RAK3172 as a microcontroller, we do not have that. Option number five is the closest to that but we have no official date of release yet. For the meantime, your options are the items #1 to #4. Learning curve will depend on your firmware development experience.

1 Like

@carlrowan Thank you very much for your reply.
Do you recommend me to use RAK3172 only for Lora connection and data Transmission, So I will connect all my sensors to another MCU, then communicate with RAK3172 via AT command! Is this a good solution!!
Thanks again

It really depends on you. Engineering design in really an art of compromise so you have to assess if the extra cost of MCU is ok. Also need to consider the time needed if you want to develop the firmware directly to the RAK3172.

@carlrowan HI,
I HAVE Evaluation BoardRAK3172-E*, and I have GPS and Accelerometer sensors, and I plugged them in their slots, how I can read the data!!! should I build my own firmware to do that, or your firmware that you already built and uploaded on chip can do that!!!

Yes. You should right your own firmware for that.

1 Like