Minimal install for packet forwarder (lora_pkt_fwd) on RPi

What is the proper procedure to install only the packet forwarder to a fresh new Raspian OS install?
I don’t want to install the full Chirpstack stack, because we already have a Chirpstack gateway elsewhere. I just want to install lora_pkt_fwd for the appropriate concentrator hardware.

I tried to clone the GitHub - RAKWireless/rak_common_for_gateway repository, then run ./choose_model.sh, then run rak_common_for_gateway/lora/install_normal.sh. Then I copied the correct global_config file for US radio frequencies, and changed the server_address to the correct server.

However, upon trying to start lora_pkt_fwd, it says ERROR can’t start concentrator.

If I install the entire stack from rak_common_for_gateway using the main ./install.sh file, it works. So apparently the /lora/install_normal.sh is not installing everything the same way.

I guess I could install the full stack then simply disable the chirpstack apps, but I hate to add unnecessary apps and files to the RPi.

Any pointers appreciated.

Hello @thegpx,

You need to run the install.sh script with this flag: ./install.sh --chirpstack=[install/not_install] .
Also, If you want specifically only the packet forwarder you can install it directly from here: GitHub - Lora-net/packet_forwarder: A LoRa packet forwarder is a program running on the host of a LoRa gateway that forwards RF packets receive by the concentrator to a server through a IP/UDP link, and emits RF packets that are sent by the server.

Best Regards,
Nikola Semov

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.