No serial comms to RAK5860

Hi

I’ve connected the RAK5860 to the RAK4630/1 board and the core doesn’t seem be communicating with the 5860.

When I download the cellular ping sketch to the board and monitor the serial port, all I receive is the ‘BG77 power up!’ message, followed by the ‘Begin receive packet from www.baidu.com!’ message. When I try to send any ATI command via the serial monitor I get no response. I tried the other 3 example cellular sketches and none of them give any responses in the serial monitor besides the initial setup/power up messages.

I’ve tried checking and reseating the 5860 board multiple times, and there are no other modules connected to the board. The blue LED on the 5860 is on and the green led flashes every second.

Any idea what i’m doing wrong here? Should I be able to send AT commands from the serial monitor window, or do I need a different program?

Thanks!
Mish

5860Serial

Hi @hamoshi ,

1. Do you have other modules connected to WisBlock? If yes, can you try with RAK5860 only connected to it? It might conflict with UART connection of the RAK5860.
  2. Do you have a battery connected to your WisBlock Base Board? You need it to properly power the Quectel module.

Hey Carl,

1. No other modules are connected
  2. I don’t have a battery connected. I’m powering the entire board+5860 module using a single USB cable from my laptop. Do I need to connect a battery too?

Thanks

Here’s a photo of the board for reference.

Yes. You need an external battery. The power of USB port is not enough.

I’ve connected a lipo and retried. Same result - still no responses via serial.

One thing that may be relevant or not - Earlier I connected directly to the BG77 via its USB port and was giving it AT commands with Quectel’s Qnavigator program.

I was able to communicate successfully and read and write parameters,=, however I kept getting failed registration. Upon the CREG command I’d always get a response of ‘0,2’, and CSQ would reply with ‘20,99’.

I’m wondering if it was ok to connect directly to the BG77 like that? Could connecting to the BG77 directly via usb somehow disabled the serial connection to the RAK5005 board?

1 Like

That is possible. Have you checked on Quectel forum?

What sim card and network are you using?

I have… I found mention of a command +QURCCFG: “urcport”,’ that suggests I change the urcport parameter. I just changed it from usbmodem to uart1 but still no luck.

I’m testing with a Telstra sim card (Australia) using band 28. I also have a hologram sim that I’m yet to try.

Actually the answer I saw on the Quectel forums looks like it was from yourself lol

Did you manage to resolve the issue?

1 Like

It’s been a while since I used my RAK5860 (because we have no NB-IOT/LTE-M network yet here in PH). I am testing it now and got no reply :cry:

I will ask my colleague to validate and we’ll get back to you.

Btw, you wont be able to use Hologram there in AU with BG77. Hologram only works in NB-IOT or LTE-M. LTE-M of hologram is only working in US at the moment.

Thanks Carl.

So when you say your colleague is validating, you’re referring to the serial comms between the core board and 5860?

And are you sure about the Hologram Australia coverage? Hologram’s site says they do.

Yes. The serial comms from RAK4631 Core to RAK5860.

Wow. I didn’t know it was updated. Lots of other countries now supported with LTE-M :clap:

Last time I checked was like 2 months ago and only US is supported

Hologram is ok then.

Hi Carl,

Any update on the serial comms issue?

FYI I was able to get the 5860 module to successfully connect to the Hologram network (by configuring the BG77 directly via usb connection using Quectel’s Qnavigator sotware).

Thanks
Hamish

Hi guys,

Is anyone at RAK able to assist with my 5860 serial comms issue?

If we don’t get a resolution in a couple of days we’ll have to move to another dev platform.

Cheers

Hi @hamoshi ,

We are still looking at it and what possibly causes it. I’ll get back to you asap.

Btw @hamoshi ,

I got a new RAK5860 with working UART AT command communicating to RAK4631.

I am trying to replicate the steps you did with Quectel’s Qnavigator. Unfortunately, like my previous experience, I can only have USB DM port and USB NMEA Port. I have no USB AT Port available. Did you upload a different FW to the BG77? If not, when did you purchase your RAK5860? Is it part of a kit?

Hey Carl,

A few questions:

1. What did you do to get the AT commands working?
  2. What sketch did you use?
  3. How do you know the AT commands are working? Are you entering and sending AT commands via the arduino serial monitor?
  4. You initially mentioned your board also experienced the same serial comms issue… so one of your boards has the same issue and another one is working? Are there any differences between the two setups that may shed light on the problem?

I didn’t upload new firmware. When I plug the BG77 into my laptop, in Qnavigator it’s called ‘USB modem’ (DM port and NMEA port are there also). We purchased the Wisblock Connected Box from IOT Store Australia (RAKWireless WisBlock Connected Box @ IOT Store Australia).

Hi @hamoshi ,

To answer your questions.

1. What did you do to get the AT commands working?
    I used a new RAK5860 to confirm. I am trying to replicate your scenario but my attempt got no USB modem available making Qnavigator impossble.
  2. What sketch did you use?
    BG77_unvarnished_transmission is the sketch example I am using. This will send direct AT commands via Serial input.
  3. How do you know the AT commands are working? Are you entering and sending AT commands via the arduino serial monitor?
    Yes via Serial monitor using the BG77_unvarnished_transmission. I believe you tried that already.
  4. You initially mentioned your board also experienced the same serial comms issue… so one of your boards has the same issue and another one is working? Are there any differences between the two setups that may shed light on the problem?
    The board I got issue is a prototype board and not the official release so we can't say it is one is to one comparison so I just used a new board from my extra Connected Box. It is working before then suddenly stop when I tried making the USB modem work. I cant remember exactly what I did but I think I attempted to upload a new FW to BG77 that time.

I’ll get more info and get back to you whatever I found out.

Thanks Carl… what firmware is your BG77 running?