Optimizing LoRaWAN Performance for Long-Range IoT Applications - Emmanuel Katto

Hi All, I am Emmanuel Katto from Uganda. I’m working on a project that requires deploying a large-scale LoRaWAN network for IoT devices to transmit data over long distances. However, I’m struggling to achieve the expected range and reliability.

Can anyone share some best practices for optimizing LoRaWAN performance for long-range IoT applications? I’m currently using the Rak811 module, but I’m open to exploring other options.

Thanks!
Emmanuel Katto

Welcome to RAK forum @emmanuelkatto ,

First of all, RAK811 is an old module so if you are working on a new product, it is best to use latest modules like RAK3172.

With regards to range, please ensure that you are using the right antenna based on your operating frequency. And also the antenna must be properly coupled to the connectors. This must ensured on both the Gateway and Device side.

Also, what is your working environment and what range is your expectation? I see some people who expect kilometers range on highly dense indoor deployment (impossible to achieve). If it is outdoor, and have clear line of sight between antennas, you should be able to send uplinks in km range.

Good night,

I am Claudio from Brazil, I am certified LoRa Engineer and my recommendation for you it is to do the Semtech free trainning to understand the LoRa/LoRAWAN concepts. I am telling this because the best practices will need that you already know at least LoRa/LoRaWAN basic concepts. Take a look in this link: Academy for LoRaWAN.

A good video in youtube where you will see a good explanation about the meaning of LoRa in this link: LoRa CHIRP

I am here to help you in your journey…

Regards,

Claudio