RAK3172-8-SM-I: Traces and GND pour beneath the module on a 2-layer PCB, keep-out needed?

Hello everyone,

First of all, I’m a beginner, so sorry if this is a basic question. I just want to make sure my first PCB works properly :slight_smile:

I want to use the RAK3172-8-SM-I as the main chip on my two-layer PCB. I have to route a few low-speed traces on the top layer beneath the module (3.3V, RST, SDA and SCL). SDA and SCL are rarely used, and RST is almost always pulled high. There is also a GND copper pour on the bottom layer and on the top layer around these traces.

The datasheet doesn’t mention any keep-out or copper recommendations beneath the module, so my questions are:

  1. Is it OK to have these traces and the GND copper pours beneath the RAK3172, or should I add a keep-out area under the module?
  2. Is it a problem to have copper (traces or pour) beneath the antenna area of the module?
  3. Should vias beneath the module be tented (covered with solder mask)?
  4. Are there other common mistakes I should watch out for?

I’ve attached screenshots of my layout (top layer, bottom layer) and the schematic below.

Thank you very much!

Welcome to the forum @totoskiller

I answered you in our help desk where you asked the same question.