RAK3172 MODULE NOT RESPONDING

Hi all,
I recently bought RAK3172 module, below are my observation:
Observation:

1. when I connect to uart[2] I got rak welcome message, but no response received for ATcommands tried multiple iteration.

My exercise:

• Cross checked the TTY (loopback TX to rx) to check TTY is working correctly or not.
  • Device power was normal 3.3
  • uart 2 TX voltage as 3.3.
  • Boot 0 to GND.
  • Connect to RAK tool to send ATcommand: no response was received.
  • Checked by manually sending command via Docklight too. No response.
  1. Tried to flash latest .bin of rak, via Rak flash tool, flashing is failed.

Kindly let me know why device is not responding to any ATcommand and also not allowing to flash.
Same behaviour was observed even in ST-Link tool during flashing (not able to connect to target ) …

I have seen all the quires raised from the Rak portal, but not is working…
Can any one please elaborate what went wrong or what I have missed…

Welcome to RAK forum @Subramanya .

Few ideas that might help:

1. Can you confirm if the TX and RX connection is correct? Swapping it then trying again wont hurt.
  2. Can you confirm if the jumper wires (if ever you use one) is ok in continuity. Sometimes this gets broken.
  3. Is there another USB-UART device connected? Sometime wrong port is selected.
  4. On uploading the bin via RAK DFU Tool, did you use 9600 as baud rate?
  5. On using ST-Link, did you provide external 3.3V? Is the supply voltage detected by the STM32CubeProgrammer?
  6. Will it be possible if you can try in a different PC.
  1. Can you confirm if the TX and RX connection is correct? Swapping it then trying again wont hurt.
  2. Can you confirm if the jumper wires (if ever you use one) is ok in continuity. Sometimes this gets broken.
  • Jumper connectivity and connection are correct.
  1. Is there another USB-UART device connected? Sometime wrong port is selected.
  • No ports are connected except Rak 3172, as I said I’m able to connect, welcome message is printed but no response to tx ATcommand.
  1. On uploading the bin via RAK DFU Tool, did you use 9600 as baud rate?
  • Yes, i selected 9600.
  1. On using ST-Link, did you provide external 3.3V? Is the supply voltage detected by the STM32CubeProgrammer?
  • I connected Rak3172 to St-Link of stm32wl55jc nucleo board. As per nucleo board datasheet we removed jumpers mentioned to use it for external device. All the Rak jumpers are connected directy to nucleo board.
    Able to read serial number of ST-Link but not able to connect to RAK device.
  1. Will it be possible if you can try in a different PC.
  • Tried in other pc observed the same behaviour.

When sending AT command, make sure they are closed with CR LF at the end.

AT Command Syntax

1 Like

Thanks for the details.

1. UART RX and port seems ok. For the TX part, I am not sure yet. Do you have terminations on each command? No replies on ATR and ATZ as well?
  2. Does the RAK DFU Tool starts and stopped in in a certain percentage or it is totally 0%?
  3. I really can’t say about ST-LINK of nucleo board. But probably you can try to upload via UART Bootloader and use STM32CubeProgrammer. Remember to upload RAK3172_v1.0.3_Boot+App_20211021.hex not the .bin. Please let me know if the STM32CubeProgrammer will be able to detect board via STM32’s UART Bootloader.

Yes, we have sent as ending tag when trying manually via Docklight…

1. UART RX and port seems ok. For the TX part, I am not sure yet. Do you have terminations on each command? No replies on ATR and ATZ as well?
  • Yes, ATcommand is terminated by “CR” “LF” (0x0D 0x0A).
  1. Does the RAK DFU Tool starts and stopped in in a certain percentage or it is totally 0%?
  • Yes. It stoped in 0%.
  1. I really can’t say about ST-LINK of nucleo board. But probably you can try to upload via UART Bootloader and use STM32CubeProgrammer. Remember to upload RAK3172_v1.0.3_Boot+App_20211021.hex not the .bin. Please let me know if the STM32CubeProgrammer will be able to detect board via STM32’s UART Bootloader.
  • Okay, let me know reset and boot state ?
    Tried even with STM32CubeProgrammer, but not able to connect to target device.
    scenario:
    Boot0 was 3.3v and reset was connected to GND and removed after few sec. Tried to connect via ST PROGRAMMER, failed to connect to target.

Hi @Subramanya ,

Thanks for the confirmation. With all those info, I can only say that either the RAK3172 module is not working ok/damaged or the UART TX command is not reaching the RX of RAK3172.

You received RAK3172 initial display so I assume that the FW it is still intact. Do you only have extra module? Also do you have extra USB-UART converter? Swapping and testing them might give us better insight.

Tried in other module, I’m able to get ATcommand response, but response for version read is always error.

Hi @Subramanya ,

Does other functionalities work aside only on AT+VER=? Have you tried FW update?

Yes, AT+VER=? works. Rak Serial Tool has AT+VERSION ATcommand, any way this module seems working, thanks for your support @carlrowan.

1 Like