RAK7204 after firmware update to 3.0.0.12.H.T dead

Issue:After the firmwareupgrade to RUI_RAK7204_V3.0.0.12.H.T(EU868-US915-AU915-KR920-IN865) nothing is possible with the device. I can still access it and do further firmware and bootloader upgrades or downgrades but it does not report any data from the sensor with an AT STATUS or is the device able to join any lora network.

Setup: RAK7204 with firmware 3.0.0.12.H and bootloader 3_0_2 from the website downloaded. EU868 frequenzy and OTAA joining.

Server: Chirpstack newest version with RAK developer GW or PI-HAT RAK833 as gateway. both are receiving from other devices but nothing possible from this device.

Details: Bootloader upgrade and firmware upgrade went through without any issues. after the last reset by button and connecting by RAK serial tool the device shows the bootup screen with errors as shown below. Even tried a downgrade to 3.0.0.10H with the corresponding bootloader. but without any success also. Bootloader and firmware upgrades all done as shown in the guide including the jumper, these steps always working without errors. also tried to flash again and again as seen in the forum someone else had to flash twice.

also tried old bootloader with new firmware and vice versa, same result. I always get BME I2C WRITE and READ ERROR or RUI_AT_PARAMETER_INVALID2 see the log output below.
The set DevEui and AppKey works, just wiped out for posting.

The logs are produced with the bootloader 3_0_2 and firmware 3.0.0.12H

Direct after flash and reset button

========================================================

| ___ / _ \ | | / / | | | () | |
| |
/ / /\ | |/ / | | | | _ __ | | ___ ___ ___
| /| _ || \ | |/| | | '
/ _ \ |/ _ / __/ __|
| |\ | | | || |\ \ \ /\ / | | | __/ | /_ _
_| __| |
/_| _/ / /||| _|_|_||//

RAK7204 Version:3.0.0.12.H.T

========================================================

Selected LoRaWAN 1.0.2 Region: EU868
UART1 work mode: RUI_UART_NORAMAL
BME680 init success.
autosend_interval: 600s
Initialization OK,Current work_mode:LoRaWAN, join_mode:OTAA, Class: A

ERROR: RUI_AT_PARAMETER_INVALID 2
Go to Sleep
OK

device status:

at+get_config=device:status
OK.

===============Device Status List================
Board Core: RAK811
MCU: STM32L151CB_A
LoRa chip: SX1276

Battery Voltage:3.646 V
BME I2C WRITE ERROR
BME I2C READ ERROR
BME I2C READ ERROR
BME I2C READ ERROR
BME I2C READ ERROR
BME680 set sensor settings ERROR
BME680 Error.
===================List End======================

device join otaa

at+join
at+join
OTAA:
DevEui:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
AppEui:0000000000000000
AppKey:YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
OTAA Join Start…
ERROR: RUI_AT_UNSUPPORT 1

May someone has any idea or another firmware which I should trie to get this thing alive again…:wink:

thanks!

When your first burn is successful, you must reset the parameters, including APP_eui, after join is successful, you read the device state again, it will return to normal.
PS: When you use chirpstack, you may not use APP_EUi, but you must set a hex number containing 16 characters according to the needs of the nodes.
Hope you success!!! :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

Thanks for your reply! Just to verify before any further actions. What do you mean actually with “reset” the parameters? Just set it again with the corespondig AT commands or with a special reset command?

In the doc I can’t find actually any special reset (https://doc.rakwireless.com/rak7204-lora-environmental-sensor/configuring-the-rak7204-environmental-sensor-using-at-commands). I also set the EUI’s again during my last tests and also switched one of my gateway to TTN to be sure it’s not an chirpstack issue.

As stated in my last post I just get these errors and nothing is showing up. These values should be there without a join? Or do I missinterpret something? I should be able to see the values just from the device itself by status command without any joins. Even when I do a join the ERROR: RUI_AT_UNSUPPORT 1 looks for me not like an issue with my lora gateway.

As mentioned from you I try to overset again the values an give it at shot, can’t be getting worse as it’s already dead…:wink:

If you have any further inputs let me know that I can try them. On the download page there is only 3.0.0.12 and 3.0.0.10 is there any reason why .11 is not there? or was it just jumped over?

thx

Yes, bootloader erases EVERYTHING - configure like it’s new out the box.

great, thx! than I understood everything correct. Just to be sure that I don’t missed any AT commands in the docs.

I gave another shot this evening full start from scratch again. After flashing bootloader and firmware I tested first with TTN before swap over to Chirpstack.After config the needed settings and reboot of the sensor it joined and after some minutes the sensor values where available in the sensor by at commands and inside of TTN.

Then I switched over to Chirpstack, as there is no APP_EUI needed and stated from @Nicholas I set it to 0000000000000000 as a try. With this I was not able to join and also the sensor reported again nothing with AT status. I then set to 0000000000000001 and the magic happend and it started to work.

May for some firmware improvement it would be nice to have the basic functionality of the sensor values without successfully joined. With this firmware actually it’s hard to identify the root cause with just the infos from the manual or the release notes.

Thx for your support!

okay!
When you set app_eui to 0000000000000000, the node thinks it is not working, and you must set a value to enable it.

Plug in the USB and it should show you what it’s doing and what the readings are.

@nmcc
yes that’s what I’ve done with the below result. I can reproduce it with flashing the bootloader 3_0_2 and firmware 3.0.0.12H. When nothing is joined I can wait forever and just get the output below when I do an AT status.

at+get_config=device:status
OK.

===============Device Status List================
Board Core: RAK811
MCU: STM32L151CB_A
LoRa chip: SX1276

Battery Voltage:3.646 V
BME I2C WRITE ERROR
BME I2C READ ERROR
BME I2C READ ERROR
BME I2C READ ERROR
BME I2C READ ERROR
BME680 set sensor settings ERROR
BME680 Error.
===================List End======================

That’s what me brought thinking I’ve killed my sensor…:wink: and as stated from @Nicholas those values got updated not until I joined it to a network. It was also the effect for testing the first join was made to TTN and if that worked I switched over to Chirpstack. When I altered the DEV_EUI and all these settings to adapt it to Chirpstack right after the moment when it was no longer joined the output was again the same with the above errors and no more values.

so I’ve learned as usual the hard way…:wink: but thats the way you never forget it in IT…

I’ve had some variable but not yet fully understood non-scientific results when I alter the DevEUI from the one on the RAK811 module that drives it.

So just in case you haven’t tried it, it is well worth changing the DevEUI to the one on the module - I have a suspicion that it knows it’s own EUI and ends up with some cognitive dissonance when it gets told to use another one and ends up with a split personality!

Hi!
This is indeed a problem with this release, it has been fixed in the latest version, and some changes are still being made. I will let you know after the official release.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.