RAK811 problems

I’ve just purchased an WisNode Lora Module,Support AS923, 868/915/433/470MHz, LoRa/TTN, Open source LoRa, RAK811 development board, LoRa Arduino shield from Aliexpress.

However when i issue simple commands like

at+mode=0

i get the response

ERROR-1

Can you tell me what i’m doing wrong?

Hi, @hortplus

You can refer to RAK811 documents:

Before that, i recommand you upgrate our latest firmware for RAK811, which is also placed in the above Github repository.

Hello Andrew,

Did you managed to get it working? I also purchased the RAK 811 Arduino Shield but experiencing issues with the Arduino Code (I followed the logic used by Naresh arduino code and wrote my own code). But I can’t get through sending sensor data.

Do let me know if you managed to get it through, would be interested to know how you did it.
Many thanks,
Regards,
Zabeel

No. The Lora stuff doesn’t work here. sent it to the telecom tech and he got it working no problem.

May I know if he connected the RAK811 directly onto an arduino or via dupont cables?

Thanks for advising,
Best regards,
Zabeel

It was directly i think. The unit i have just clicks on. I can send to you if you like. i have no use for it but the frequency might be an issue. Where do you live?

I already have 5 RAK811 Arduino Uno Shield (2 version 1.1 and 3 version 1.2) mounted on arduino uno. but I am not able to get them working. The first two I managed to go through OTAA activation but right now able to send only fixed payload (the issue for the first two is that am not able to send dynamic payload interms of bytes). The other three modules, I am not able to get it authenticate via OTAA using the same arduino code.

By the way I got my own LoRa Gateway (the Lorix One) - I am in Mauritius and we uses the 868MHz. I badly need to get these working as it is part of a project. Any help would be most welcomed.

Thanks,
Zabeel

I’m sorry i can’t be more help. i’m not familiar with this technology at all

Hello all,

I managed to get it working correctly.

The steps I used:

1. Connect the RAK811 module directly to my PC and change the Uart setting to 9600 by using AT Command (from the AT Command Guide)
  2. Instead of putting the RAK811 directly on the Arduino Uno / Nano - I power both using seperate power source (usb cables). I only wire the TX and RX between the RAK811 and Arduino.
  3. I used the RAK811 library from Github but not the sample code - because the sample code just loop on the AT+mode command and nothing happens. I wrote my own code using a systematic approach - 1. using AT+reset, 2. AT+Mode, 3. Setting the Dev eui, Application Eui, App Key 4. AT+join 5. AT+send (all these commands are already present in the library). Necessary delays are important to be set in between each command
  4. I got a code from the Internet for converting an array of bytes into HEX and returning it into string - the send command from the RAK811 works perfectly and send the data
  5. Using the decoder function on TTN - I decode the code and that’s it got my sensors data back into readable format

The only part which I found difficult was the conversion of the array of bytes into HEX String.
Now, got to save the data into a dynamo DB in AWS - I already set the integration with AWS MQTT and working perfectly. Only remaining part is the lamda function for sending SNS notification.

Have a great day ahead!
Best regards,
Zabeel

Hi Zabeelr. In the number 3 you said that you wrote your own code. It possible that your share it ?? I´ve taken this several weeks with the same problem. I can´t send data between rak811 (wisnode shield) and arduino Uno.

thanks for your help

Best regards.

1 Like

I’m also having the same problem. RAK811 and Arduino couldn’t simply communicate and been struggling with this for over two weeks now.

Attached. i didn’t get going here, but a telecom rep did

(Attachment raki811.ino is missing)

I´ve tried with a lot web tutorials:

and nothing. I don´t know what is the problem.

hi @zabeelr , I am having the same problems.
I bought 2 Wisnode 1.2 modules, and I can’t make them work as a shield with an arduino one.

You could share the code with which it worked for you. I have not been able to solve it for several weeks.

Thank you very much for any help you can give me.
Nicolas

Hello @ncl17,

Please do check my post about my arduino code I used. I did download the library of RAK811 but I tweak the commands to be compatible to the firmware 3.04 upwards.

Trust this helps.

https://forum.rakwireless.com/t/rak811-with-arduino-uno/854/2?u=zabeelr

Attached. Never got it working myself because of lack of node here but sent it to our local telecom guy who said it works fine

(Attachment raki811.ino is missing)

@zabeelr Thank you very much,
It has been very helpful, I have already understood where my mistake was.

I have this module and recently I wrote a nice article about how to use: https://www.hackster.io/antal-attila/rak811-wisnode-lora-as-shield-637f41

wow, @Attila, that’s great!

Hello everybody I´m new in this foro and I dont know if this is the right place to put my question.

I buy the rak811 WinsDuo, I connect that with a arduino UNO to the Tx 1 and Rx 0 according with the pinOut Wins Duo breakboard I open the serial monitor and tried to send the command at+version but I dont have response, and using the rak serial port tool happends the same.

Someone can help me ? I am not familiar with hardware tools