The BALLOON Project of LoRa

RAK 5205 STRATOSPHERIC EXPERIMENT 90.000 -60

RAK 5205 STRATOSPHERIC EXPERIMENT 90.000 -60

|Hello we are a school from Cyprus europe and have a project and of this month and we will send a balloon with a load up to 90.000 feets -60 celsius are you interested to make IoT history :):slight_smile: The video below is from our school and shows what we are planning to do THE PLAN |Hello we are a school from Cyprus europe and have a project and of this month and we will send a balloon with a load up to 90.000 feets -60 celsius are you interested to make IoT history :):slight_smile: The video below is from our school and shows what we are planning to do THE PLAN |

|This is our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pesecl/ we will like to thank RAK WIRELESS for sponsoring this project :>|

2 Likes

Huge respect. Keep us posted

1 Like

we need some help to enable the gps for high altitude and also how to keep gps on all the time :< ?

Can you give more info about the project and the RAK equipment you are using?

RAK5205-WisTrio-LoRa

good question.Let us work on this topic.

1 Like

In more detail this is what we want

1. Unlocked GPS module: Records data up to an altitude of 50,000m (51mi). Most modules are limited to 18,000m (11.2mi)
  2. Measured Temperature Range -55°C to +85°C (-67°F to 185°F)
  3. Pressure Range:10 to 2000mbar
  4. disable autosleep
    5.disable gas sensor , to save battery

hi how can we contact them ? we want to ask what sensors and hardware’s they use

I would also love to have some more info to read, equipment, plans etc.

yes this is me :> i am trying now to edit the firmware and make the changes or the RAK [

RAK 5205 tracker

But is very confusing and difficult i am using keil uvision

Well put MR. @BoRRoZ,

I am not expert, but this I know you want help, you better be able to explain in detail what it is you want to do and what resource you got at your disposal.

Ah on the subject of using different nodes. You will have to do some kind of handover (as @BoRRoZ pointed out there is globally available frequency) , which is not exactly something LoRaWAN cares about as it was never designed to operate in such conditions. Furthermore you will be incredibly power constraint so you need to design some kind of mechanic to make use of to determine when you will be switching to which frequency.
Also seeing how you probably want to go for max range/power, might be a good idea to go for the EU433 (less attenuation and less power limitation due to regulations, you can actually have a PA in the node there, should help nicely with range).
Honestly the project has insane engineering problems to solve, at least from my perspective. It is incredibly cool, however very complex. I would expect that you define the system parameters in detail and than start thinking of implementing a particular scheme/device/code, whatever.
To me it would make sense to first identify what would be the possible issues that might arise in your particular case. It is unlike any LoRaWAN setups commonly depicted in the communal projects I have seen in the past year. Thus it will come with its own specific set of setbacks that you have to identify before proceeding as this is a system that will quite literally be beyond serviceability for its lifespan so to say. Thus you make damn sure nothing fucks up, and mate you will have a fucking LoRa node flying around, a ton of ■■■■ could go bad, ahaha.
So yes do let the nice people in the forum who can help (I do not mean me of course as I have mentioned no expert here) know exactly what it is you are doing.
Still your project has to be the coolest, most insane LoRa thing to date. So jealous I did not try to make it first, ahaha.

And we have just learned that the forum censors the word ■■■■. :slight_smile:

1 Like

ok the node should not be more than 30 grams with batteries

It will travel 13 kilometers in the sky and will use special balloons that can last for 6 months

The desing -communication can be made by changing frequencies -or with a lora satelite or with an iot sim card

Power -will be with solar and small rechargeable capacitor

Pcb - we can use a modified version of the RAK-trio

::slight_smile:

Video link and ground station is for a future project that will use also lora :slight_smile:

Just going to add to stuff to what Mr. @BoRRoZ said:

1. LoRa Satellite, do you mean Lacuna, isn’t that cutting edge ■■■■, do you actually have permission/contacts in order to do this as it will be really cool. (something similar to this perhaps:https://blog.hackster.io/to-space-and-back-with-lorawan-49d434752232)
  2. Small capacitor, how about a small coin cell, should be sufficient if you got a good sleep cycle and some solar power.
  3. The RAK tracker isn’t exactly designed for low power operation :). I myself am looking into something as the MKR1300 with TPL5110, which you could also apply to any RAK board I suppose. At least to my knowledge there isn’t really any open source LoRa node with good power management. Hence the TPL5110 to simply power the whole shebang down.
  4. Extremely important, got to be industrial grade taking into account the harsher working conditions, right. Also a pro for the TPL5110 use case is that you can use it to turn those down as well.

Those are just suggestions, but they might as well be solutions. How do we know, well we don;t as we need more info. You got two options here I believe.
I. You the good old scientific method - trial and error (mostly a lot of error and a trial of your patience, ahaha). This is what I do and guess what, it is a bad idea ahaha.
II. Plan and execute. This is why Mr. @BoRRoZ asks so many questions. The better you define your setup and what are your requirements, the better you will do. Plus having a clear and concise list of requirements is going to be invaluable for deciding how different ideas could be potential solutions or not. Plus the more info the more likely is some knowledgeable people such as Mr. @BoRRoZ will join and you will crowd source some amazing ■■■■.

Kudos

Still nice to see such projects taking place with our beloved LoRa.
Next asking Elon Musk for funding to make a Earth to Mars LoRaWAN link.
Ahaha take that Adreas Spiess.

Ahaha, this is a good idea to make a Earth to Mars LoRaWAN link. :slight_smile: Elon Musk will love it.:sunglasses:

1 Like

Basically we are testing this theory in a months time

I am on holidays now when i get back on monday i will write a full technical description of the project :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That will be great!
We’re looking forward for it. :slight_smile:

Good think to take of, however a potential problem too.
Means one more radio, one more antenna, considering you already have several patches for the different LoRa Bands.
You could group them in LF and HF and just use 2 antennas, however they will be slightly de-tuned for all frequencies essentially. However depending on your link budget this might be the best solution, as you are space constrained. GPS got to be circular pol so no running away there.
So those are already 3 antennas just for LoRa and GPS, am I right?
Also as MR. @BoRRoZ pointed out the RAK5205 does have integrated GPS, but it might not be the best option as there are sensors that might not be needed and if you are going to modify it heavily anyway might as swell use a RAK811 with a GPS radio.
I am a fan of simple is better, so the less there is the more likelly it is not to blow up in your face, ahaha.
maybe you can make a carrier board for the 811 with an arduino nano to take care of the AT commands and a TPL5110 and an FRAM for the data. Yes I am going to push this idea as I want to see it realized and I am too lazy so if someone does it for me that would be great.
Anyways I am just brainstorming :slight_smile: